With temps expected to be frigid this week, the urge will be for people to crank up the heat. However, that increases the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Personal heaters, warming up your car, and even burning wood in your fireplace can increase your risk of CO poisoning.
A physician assistant with HSHS Sacred Heart Hospital in Eau Claire says symptoms include nausea, shortness of breath, and dizziness.
She says the main sign is having multiple people from the same house or environment together with similar symptoms.
“We more commonly see cases of carbon monoxide poisoning in the winter time, because people are spending more times in enclosed spaces. Often times, their fuel, their stove or oven or whatever they’re using for heat is not being properly vented,” said HSHS Sacred Heart Hospital Physician Assistant Madeline Heidel
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says about 50,000 people visit an emergency room because of severe exposure, and at least 430 people die in the U.S. each year from accidental CO poisoning.