MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) – After about two hours of deliberations, a jury found Chandler Halderson guilty of killing his parents.

The 23-year Dane County man was found guilty on two counts of first-degree intentional homicide in the July 2020 deaths of his parents, Bart and Krista Halderson. He was also found guilty on the charges of providing false information on a kidnapping, two counts of mutilating a corpse and two counts of hiding a corpse.

Chandler Halderson looked straight ahead during the reading of the verdict.

The tentative date for a sentencing hearing is March 17 or 18. The mandatory sentence for first-degree intentional homicide in Wisconsin is life in prison.

The Court revoked Halderson’s bail, meaning he cannot post bond at any point before his sentencing.

Day nine in the trial of Chandler Halderson started with a rapid-fire of major developments, starting with prosecutors indicating they were done calling witnesses. Next, defense attorneys revealed they did not intend to call any witnesses. That included Chandler Halderson himself, who opted not take the stand in his own defense.

In a statement from Dane Co. Sheriff Kalvin Barrett, he extended sympathies to the family of Bart and Krista Halderson following the reading of the verdict.

“Throughout this investigation and trial, they have been in the forefront of our thoughts,” Barrett said. “This is one of the most extensive investigations the Dane County Sheriff’s Office has faced. Our detectives, deputies and civilian staff worked tirelessly to determine what really happened to Bart and Krista. I could not be more proud of their work.”

He thanked various agencies who assisted over the course of this investigation, including the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Wisconsin Department of Justice and the Wisconsin State Crime Lab. He also extended his thoughts to neighbors, friends and family who shared “vital information” during the investigation.

Prosecutors indicated Wednesday that the end was in sight for them and that they may be finished by the end of that day. By the time Wednesday’s session wrapped up though they had not rested. It was when Thursday began and before the jury was seated that the state told Judge John Hyland that it would not call any more witnesses.

It was then that Halderson’s attorneys stated they would not call anyone, and their client did not intend to testify either. Hyland asked the defense if they would go ahead and rest their case immediately as well, so that jurors would not have to come in, only to be dismissed again.

After they agreed, the jurors needed to be seated to hear the dramatic developments that had already happened Thursday morning, before the clock struck 9 a.m.

With both sides rested, the judge delivered jury instructions, advising them of the law and their role, for each of the eight charges. After receiving the instructions, prosecutors began their final argument, walking jurors through the chronology of their case. The judge noted that these closing arguments are not to be viewed as fact.