Study: Cosmetic products can be dangerous to kids

Local News

They are the products which help many add beauty to their appearance.

But, thousands of children go to the hospital every year to get treated for ingesting toxic chemicals tied to cosmetics.

Marshfield Clinic RN, Mel Hunt, said that these products are often hard to spot and classify as dangerous.

“Things like shampoo, more or less all hair treatments like hair dyes, relaxers, perms”, Hunt said. “Those types of products that we can use every day and are not harmful if they are used properly, can be extremely harmful if a child unknowingly ingests them or uses them inappropriately.”

Hunt also said that these products are more common than you might think.

“It’s more those common household products like cosmetics, shampoos, and hair treatments”, she said. “These are more accessible to children typically because they are kept in bathrooms and cabinets that are lower to the ground. Those are the products that I would suggest parents are more aware of putting locks on cabinets or switching the location so that children cannot get to them.”

If your child ingests these products, contact poison control and transport your child to the nearest hospital.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Community Calendar