Wis. (WLAX/WEUX) – While coronavirus cases skyrocket, the American Cancer Society is urging people to choose today to quit smoking.
Smoking accounts for almost 1 in every 5 deaths each year and experts say if smokers contract COVID-19 it may lead to an increased risk of being hospitalized or placed on a ventilator.
As smoking remains the largest preventable cause of death in the world, respiratory therapist Dusti Mielke urges people to stay as healthy as possible in order to combat the virus.
- Are UFOs and cryptid creatures connected?
- Plague discovered in 6 Colorado counties after 10-year-old dies
- Report: ‘In a bad place’, Davante Adams & Packers stop extension talks
- Newsfeed Now: US Olympians prepare to compete during pandemic; Officer uses chip bag to save stabbing victim’s life
- Tokyo Olympic flame is the first powered by hydrogen
Mielke said, “Smoking also it affects your heart, your immune system, so when we’re seeing something like COVID-19 coming in and how it can affect the body in so many ways, that it’s important to be as healthy as you can be. Now we have two negative things that we’re trying to battle in order to get these people better or to get them off of a ventilator.