Local fire departments remind people to properly dispose of hazardous material

Local News

HOLMEN, Wis. (WLAX/WEUX) – The Holmen Area Fire Department is reminding people to be cautious when buying items with hazardous material after responding to reports of a possible mercury spill on Saturday.

According to the fire department, someone called saying they had found mercury in an old cabinet purchased at a garage sale.

The La Crosse Fire Department sent their Haz-Mat team to check out the hazardous material. Crews were able to clear the scene in about an hour and a half. No injuries were reported.

The fire says hazardous materials or chemicals should be properly disposed of at the county landfill.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Community Calendar