HOLMEN, Wis. (WLAX/WEUX) – The Holmen Area Fire Department is reminding people to be cautious when buying items with hazardous material after responding to reports of a possible mercury spill on Saturday.
According to the fire department, someone called saying they had found mercury in an old cabinet purchased at a garage sale.
The La Crosse Fire Department sent their Haz-Mat team to check out the hazardous material. Crews were able to clear the scene in about an hour and a half. No injuries were reported.
The fire says hazardous materials or chemicals should be properly disposed of at the county landfill.