The weather is changing and the leaves are falling! Leaf It is well on its way, and with leaf collection just around the corner, we want to continue encouraging residents and businesses to mulch their leaves.
Benefits of Mulching:
• Nourishes Soil – As the organic mulch decomposes, it nourishes your soil and feeds your plants.
• Suppresses Weeds – Mulch cuts weed seeds from the sunlight. This prevents them from growing enough to break through the surface.
• Conserves Water -Mulch helps soil retain moisture.
• Regulates Temperature- Mulch insulates your plants’ root systems against the sun and extreme temperature variations.
• Prevents Erosion- Mulch acts as the first defense against nature’s elements that can wear away your soil.
• Provides Nutrients for Organisms- Mulching helps maintain a healthy ecosystem in your yard.
• Save Time -Imagine all the time you’ll save by not having to clear all the leaves from your yard!
If you want to take part in the sustainable initiative, please consider registering here! You can help advocate for sustainable mulching practices in your front yard by picking up a “Leaf It” yard sign which will be available at City Hall – 400 La Crosse St, Monday – Thursday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm OR Black River Beach Neighborhood Center – 1433 Rose St, Monday – Thursday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
To learn more about Leaf It, check out our sustainability page!