Wis. (WLAX/WEUX) – March is poison prevention month, and health professionals are sharing what you should know. ER physician Dr. Paul Horvath with Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire says a common cause of poisoning is people accidentally taking the wrong dose of their medication.

Another hazard is children getting their hands on cleaning items or things in the medicine cabinet. Horvath says some symptoms to be aware of are chest pains and lethargy. 

“They’ll see their kids have put something in their mouth and they may see a little residue around their lips or on their tongue. That can be a common thing that would point to poisoning. Another would be nausea and vomiting. Obviously, when you put toxins in your body, your body wants to get rid of them,” said Horvath.

Horvath says whether it’s an adult or a child, calling poison control and explaining what’s been ingested can help find a solution. In a more a serious case, he says you should call 9-1-1 as soon as possible.